Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Have you Ever seen the Wind?

Living in Western PA, I've never had the opportunity to experience a hurricane.  After feeling the effects of Hurricane Ike this past Sunday, I don't think that I ever really want to.  The 79 M.P.H. winds (clocked at the Beaver County Airport, which I can SEE from my house) devastated our local community.  Power was lost for over 100,000 homes.  Many families, two days after the storm, still do not have power.  Trees have fallen everywhere, and many families had limbs (or entire trees) fall onto their homes, sheds, or cars.  Yikes!

To be honest, I didn't think, at the time, that the storm was going to be that bad.  I say "storm" with tongue in cheek, as we received very little rain.  It was primarily all wind, all the time.  I had an inkling that things might be taking a turn for the worse when we lost power (and with it the Steeler game) at around 10PM.  No Steeler game?  God must've been ttiiccckkkeeedd!

Anyway, after the game ended (we listened on my roommates flashlight radio) I took a quick look outside.  The wind nearly blew off all my clothes and, for the sake of all humanity, I hurried back into the house.  

I awoke the next morning to more damage then what I could've imagined.  Trees were uprooted and debris was scattered throughout neighboring yards.  As I surveyed the damage I was struck by two distinct impressions.  First, wind (and the God behind the force of that wind) is powerful indeed.  We experienced only a taste of a hurricane, and that was plenty.  Secondly, I was again reminded of just how dependent we have become upon all of our regular household comforts.  

We have the nicest of homes, the most modern of technologies, and comfort rules the day.  It's a rarity that an event occurs to somehow disrupt our regular routine.  I was ticked that I couldn't watch the second half of the Steeler's game!  As if it were somehow someone's fault that the God of creation saw fit to send heavy wind through my area and disrupt my agenda for the evening.  I mean, the nerve!

I guess, in the end, what it really comes right down to it we, as Americans, don't have to depend on God too much for anything.  Occasionally we are reminded that we are not as in control as we may think.  Interesting...

No comments: